aussie_surfer wrote: ↑Thu Jul 17, 2025 1:57 pm
Hi Alex,
I deeply share your concerns about the risks of surgery. Personally I am neither pro, nor against, surgery. I am very much open to surgery in the right set of circumstances. It really depends on the individual person and their history. I always remember Violet’s learned words when it comes to this, and ask myself the question, “Is my quality of life and pain that bad, that I am prepared to take the risk of becoming worse.” - Although I am limited, I can still exercise most days, and I am very worried about the risk of my pain worsening long term from surgery, as I have read can happen on this forum, from other people’s direct experiences.
I find it incredibly frightening that there is so little understanding, and limited help available, for people who develop pelvic pain from activities that are common. I feel like I’m living in a nightmare.
I am engaging in pelvic PT, for me, it actually feels relieving when the PT performs the internal release work, and I feel better immediately after it. But the relief is only short lived.
I read the following post on another forum, and I believe it is relevant to this discussion. I post it below for reference, as I feel it makes some good points:
I truly wish you all the best, Alex. You are not alone. DM me anytime.
Before entering surgery, consider - the pudendal nerve as the main nerve of the perineum. It is a mixed motor and sensory nerve. This nerve is crucial.
Diagnostic injections and a T3 MRN can give a good picture (high resolution) of entrapment if one exists within the proximal branch. However, the same can not be said for the distal branches (inferior rectal nerve, perineal nerve, and the dorsal nerve of the penis or clitoris).
While in surgery, various points along the proximal branch are decompressed, and the “hope” is (realize it is no more than your hope and your surgeon’s hope) that freeing the compressed sites within the proximal branch will, in essence, go downstream and positively impact the distal branches as well.
Understand that while the T3 MRN can offer a high-resolution picture and more clearly show an entrapment on the proximal branch, there is no reliable method to see and/or know what may or may not be going on in terms of compression in the three distal branches. Even with marked cadavers, the distal nerves could not be clearly identified with any certainty. On top of all this, anatomical differences in how the nerve weaves throughout the pelvic area can vary from person to person.
Two potential problems can arise. The 1st possibility, the release of the entrapment of the proximal branch, negatively impacts one or more of the distal portions of the nerve. If this happens, i.e., the newly decompressed nerve does not positively translate downstream to the distal nerves. There is no way for the surgeon to know this took place, and even if there was a way for the surgeon to know (there is not), nothing can be done to fix it. Therefore, as often happens, the patient remains in the same pain long after surgery and may also express that the pain seems to change locations.
Conversely, it's possible to go into surgery (assuming the T3 MRN shows the compression in the proximal branch), but at the same time, there are also entrapments in one or more of the distal branches; here again, there is no way for the surgeon to know about the entrapments in the distal branches. This also leaves the patient in the same or more pain after surgery, and neither the surgeon nor the patient understands why this is the case. The surgeon says there is nothing more they can do leaving the patient to figure out how to deal with the bad outcome.
In the end, it's easy to see the possibilities ranging from the "hoped-for good resolution" to the potentially devastating post-op results.
Plain and simple surgery is a crap shoot. It has as good a chance of working over time as it has of not working. When surgery doesn't work, new psychological issues complicate the actual physical pain because what was once the "new hope" the patient had going into surgery has dimmed to a flicker - so where does this leave the possibility of getting one's life back when hope vanishes?
The next sentences that follow are only my opinion and no more than that:
1. To push surgery as the answer is irresponsible, taking into account the risks and the vulnerability of those suffering.
2. To recognize the risks and go into surgery understanding these risks - is responsible.
3. These percentages of success rates (such as 85% or whatever number is dreamed up) are nonsense. Think of it logically, considering the crap shoot - the roll of the dice. The French have been doing this surgery since the early 1990s. Realize it's just a numbers game - with all the thousands of surgeries the French have done, there will certainly be success stories that will make the rounds. But, it's also true that even though the French are highly experienced in this surgery - not even the French doctors know the impact of surgery on the distal branches of the nerve or if the distal branches were entrapped in the 1st place going into surgery.
4. If everything related to the surgery falls into place just right, the patient will get better slowly over time and regain their life. Getting better from surgery is a "possible" outcome.
5. One person's success will have no bearing on your success if you're considering surgery.
6. The opposite is also true; one person’s failure will not mean your attempt will fail.
7. Surgery is a risk - understanding the risk is all I'm saying.
8. Unfortunately, desperation is in the driver's seat when it comes to this issue - people are extremely vulnerable.