JeanneJ wrote: ↑Tue Jun 09, 2026 1:45 am
I had a 2nd nerve block on May 6. My pain was slightly improved and I debated canceling it. The block didn't help. I actually feel worse now, but it might not be because of the block. I doubled my Gabapentin?Baclofen suppositories. I am going pack to the Pain specialist in 4 days. I am so discouraged and struggle with feelings of hopelessness. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
I would ask about switching to Pregabalin. It is not much better than Gabapentin but is more centrally acting so lasts longer and you only need to take it twice a day which is much easier to manage from a medication perspective. They will be able to do a direct switch using a ratio, which the pain specialist will know.
I am struggling to understand when you have said your pain slightly improved when you had the 1st block. Violet has given you some really useful links below and has asked you a few questions that might help you as to where to go next.
I think it might be worth taking a looking and considering whether your symptoms correlate with pain in the distribution of the pudendal nerve (i.e. pudendal neuralgia). If "yes," then consider whether you meet the Nantes criteria for pudendal nerve entrapment.
If you have entrapment, you need to consider surgery as this will be the only effective intervention.
Even if you think you have pudendal nerve entrapment, you need to consider whether you have have any medical or non-mechanical causes that could explain your symptoms. There are a number of medical conditions or even conditions that give similar symptoms that may require different surgery or medical treatment. If there isn't a medical cause that can be found, then you need to consider pudendal nerve decompression surgery if you have excluded all other symptoms and meet the Nantes criteria.
Ideally, your pain specialist should support you whilst the cause of your symptoms are being worked out. Pain specialists do not tend to do this on the whole and often have biases, so you may have to be quite pushy.
You may find that you are asked to do a number of investigations to rule out other conditions - which is completely appropriate. However, a lot of these investigations, may come back normal but that does not necessarily exclude pudendal nerve entrapment.
Often clinicians these days diagnose based on investigations but unfortunately pelvic pain is not like that and they need to rule out conditions that can be identified on scans etc. Think Sherlock Holmes style.
I am very sorry to hear that you are feeling hopeless, we have all felt that way but there are treatments and there is hope but you need to find it. Solving this puzzle isn't impossible but it will be challenging.
Keep pushing forward, as the key is not to give up and not be fobbed off in your search.
When you say your pain specialist has suggested treating your symptoms. My suggestion would be to go back but tell to them that you need them to find out what the cause of the pain is, so that you can consider your treatment options.
I would say to them that it is well known that treating symptoms alone will not work but obviously you want some relief whilst you work out what you would like to do next - I am not saying this to scare you.....it is more to empower you and show to your doctor that you will not be fobbed off with nonsense (e.g. nerve block after nerve block or repeat botox injections).
I hope this in some way helps, rather than scares you. Ask more questions along your journey and fact check what doctors tell you as unfortunately very few doctors are actually familiar with the evidence incl. pain specialists.
I was feeling probably how you are right now but I am hoping that in six months time, I will feel like a new person.