Page 1 of 1
FOR ALI
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:48 am
by carolynm
,,,,dying to know how your appt was yesterday w/Dr. Martin?
cari
Re: FOR ALI
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:12 pm
by AliPasha1
Hi Cary and my respective PNE friends,
My appointment with Dr. Martin Hal went very well indeed.I spent almost two hours with him and he discussed and checked everything in detail.I don't have Piriformis muscle syndrome,SIJD andPosterior femoral Cutaneous nerve decompression.I strictly have bilaterally PNE which I was already aware off.
As far as PNE is concerned,he has done about 5 patients and he monitoring their recovery very closely.He uses an endoscope to see the ligament grip .He goes through the Obturator muscle to see the Alcock's Canal and at the moment he has limited access to the Alcock's Canal.However,he is working to get a better access to the Alcock's Canal.
He will not divide the Sacrotuberous ligament because as an orthopedic surgeon he strongly believes that ST is pivotal for Pelvic instability like other ligaments are in the respective body .However,he will cut the falciform process of the Sacrotuberous ligament and he will divide the Sacrospinous ligament if needed.
He isn't ready as yet to start doing PNE patients.He wants to monitor the patients that he has already done and then publish his results.He believes that he will be ready by next year to start doing PNE surgeries ,but he wants to see consistent results first from his first batch of patients.
He also believes that TG approach is very invasive and it creates a lot of scar tissue which in turn leads to re-entrapment of the Pudendal nerve.
He read Dr. potter's MRI like a magician and he loved it.He traced the Pudendal nerve all along it's path and showed me the points of entrapment.He is going to get in touch wih Dr. Potter regarding the imaging protocol.
He does treat Piriformis muscle syndrome,Posterior Femoral Cutaneous nerve and Sciatic nerve issues.
He is very professional,kind,intelligent,has very good bed manners, eager to learn and not greedy at all.
Regards,
Ali
Re: FOR ALI
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:28 pm
by Karyn
Dear Ali,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with Dr. Martin. Although it's a tiny bit disappointing he's not ready to do PN decompressions yet; I find it very encouraging he's taking his time with this. I'm highly impressed he wants to monitor his current patients, too!
Dr. Martin sounds very promising on many levels and will (hopefully!) be worth the wait.
Warmest of regards,
Karyn
ps ... noticed you said he goes through the obturator muscle to access the AC. Would you happen to know if he does obturator release?
Re: FOR ALI
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:54 pm
by Faith
AliPasha1 wrote:
I don't have Piriformis muscle syndrome,SIJD andPosterior femoral Cutaneous nerve decompression.I strictly have bilaterally PNE which I was already aware off.
Ali,
Thanks for sharing your experience with Dr. Martin. I was wondering, did he check you for SIJD, Pirifromis syndrome, and PFCN entrapment or just go off your symptoms? Or could he see that there wasn't PFCN entrapment on the Potter MRI? I am glad he doesn't think you have PFCN entrapment. But you do have ischial tuberosity pain, right? I think ischial tuberosity pain can be from PNE although I know some surgeons do not.
So, what is your plan of action now?
Re: FOR ALI
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:39 pm
by AliPasha1
Faith,
He did a very comprehensive physical exam to determine that I didn't have PFCN Entrapment,SIJD or Piriformis muscle syndrome.I did mention Dellon's point of view that the sitting pain is due to the inferior cluneal nerve and not the Pudendal Nerve.
He said the sitting pain comes from the Pudendal nerve.However, if the inferior cluneal nerve somehow gets entangled with the Pudendal nerve,then it becomes a
the source of pain as far sitting is concerned.They have to overlapp somewhere I guess.
Regards,
Ali
Re: FOR ALI
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:12 am
by paulette
Thank you for this valuable information, Ali. Since he was able to determine whether you have PFCN entrapment and piriformis syndrome by examining you, I think it would be worth a trip to OKC.
Re: FOR ALI
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:19 am
by deBBieW
Very interesting, thank you for sharing all of this. If you have a Potter MRI, and have Dr. Martin examine you, it could give people like me with multiple issues some real information. It would certainly help me with further decisions. I will keep Dr. Martin in mind too. I hope he sticks with his plans of monitoring his patients.
Are any of his patients posting regularly on this forum? Sorry, I have not been posting that long, so I'm not familiar.
Ali, how long of a wait is it to see Dr. Martin?
thanks again,
Debbie
Re: FOR ALI
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:32 pm
by tig5
Ali,
I can't thank you enough for posting your info. about your visit with Dr. Martin. I was feeling so, so very discouraged by the never ending stretch of doctors in these big hospitals that don't even try to help! Then your good friend, Karyn, sent me your post. I tell you it has gotten me through the last couple of days. I see Dr. Martin on Dec. 19th! He already reviewed my reports and films, so I feel good he really thinks he can help me if he wants to see me.
How is your pain? I can't even project about the future because it scares me terribly. Are you working? I have been out of work since my bilateral decompression surgery with Dr. Conway on July 12th.
Again, thank you for posting and thinking of everyone else who may benefit from this information!
Sincerely,
Annmarie
Re: FOR ALI
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 am
by deBBieW
Hey Annmarie,
Be sure to keep us posted on your experience with Dr. Martin too. Cool that you are seeing him so soon!
Best of luck,
Debbie
Re: FOR ALI
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:44 am
by Faith
Annemarie,
Would you mind sharing Why you are seeing dr Martin, like where your pain is? Did your TG make you worse or are you experiencing new pain?