Page 1 of 1

Difference between pn & pne

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:07 pm
by Kate
Hi
I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find a post. Can only a doctor tell what the difference is or is there a way I could tell. I don't have pain when sitting or bending etc. Mine is a delayed pain. Always lasts minimum of a day & can go for days or just one day. I can get a week between pain if I'm lucky, but in saying that I'm not working and I'm basically doing nothing with my life so my activity is low. When I was working the pain was much more frequent. But I've always felt I'm not in control as I don't get instant pain so I don't know if my hyperavoidence is doing anything. Still waiting to see a Dr that knows about the condition.
Also I'm reading a book called the pain chronicle's & although its good I've come to a chapter about nerve pain and boy it brought me to tears, basically makes the nerves seem invincible!
Anyway my question is what's the diff between the two and is it only a Dr diagnosis that will give me my answer.
Thanks everyone

Re: Difference between pn & pne

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:59 am
by Violet M
Kate the FAQ page at this link answers the question on what the difference is between PN and PNE: http://www.pudendalhope.org/node/8

But I think what you are asking is how do you know which you have, right? That's the tricky part and often even the docs have a hard time knowing for sure until they go in for surgery. The Nantes team has published an article on what they see as the typical criteria for diagnosing an entrapment. http://www.pudendalhope.info/sites/defa ... iteria.pdf
I did not fit all of those typical criteria though.

The most recent development in diagnosing an entrapment seems to be the 3T MRI (as done by Dr. Hollis Potter) which may show entrapments but is not proven to be 100% accurate.

People who do not get relief from physical therapy with myofascial release may be more likely to be entrapped.

Hope this helps answer you question.

Violet M

Re: Difference between pn & pne

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:01 am
by carolynm
Kate,

The symptoms between PN/PNE are the same...many of us believe in Dr. Potter's special MRI in NYC to confirm entrapment.

cm

Re: Difference between pn & pne

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:39 am
by Kate
Curse this stupid condition!

Re: Difference between pn & pne

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:25 am
by carolynm
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!