Page 1 of 2

Proposed Facebook Memorial for PN suicides

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:24 pm
by GregT
A gentlemen who, I suppose, belongs to one or both of the pudendal websites has approached me with a specific request. Below, in general, is what he wants to do. I personally know about 6-7 people who've killed themselves who had PN/pelvic pain, but I'm really not all that hip on this idea below. I'm certainly not going to give anyone these people's personal information, but I also don't really think that it's all that good of an idea for me to personally contact them and bring this issue up. I'd like some opinions of you all on "hope".

Greg
I want to know if you know people who have
committed suicide due to PN/PNE/Chronic Pelvic Pain and if I could get in touch
with them to tell them that I am creating a memorial on facebook (within the
context of our support groups)for them and for their families and friends.

Re: Proposed Facebook Memorial for PN suicides

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:47 pm
by Celeste
I feel like those families and friends can create their own memorials as they see fit (or not). I think it's kind of weird and borderline wrong for somebody who didn't even know them, to want to create this. I think there is quite enough PN "awareness" activity going on without contacting bereaved family members to ask them for permission on something so personal.

Re: Proposed Facebook Memorial for PN suicides

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:07 pm
by calluna
I agree with Celeste.

Re: Proposed Facebook Memorial for PN suicides

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:18 pm
by Emily B
I agree with Celeste too. Contact by a total stranger of the family and friends whose loved ones committed suicide to start a Facebook page? Seems intrusive and insensitive. Individual families can create their own memorials if that helps them in their grieving process.

Emily B.

Re: Proposed Facebook Memorial for PN suicides

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:18 pm
by GregT
Emily B wrote:I agree with Celeste too. Contact by a total stranger of the family and friends whose loved ones committed suicide to start a Facebook page? Seems intrusive and insensitive. Individual families can create their own memorials if that helps them in their grieving process.

Emily B.
While I agree with Celeste too, I wouldn't be giving this person the information to contact these people. I would be the one contacting people who I personally knew. I still don't think it would be a good idea. Maybe a nice thought, but just not the right thing to do, in my opinion.

Greg

Re: Proposed Facebook Memorial for PN suicides

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:19 am
by JeanieC
I agree with Celeste. Suicide has touched my immediate family and I would never give permission for his name on a Facebook page. I think this idea is in poor taste.

Re: Proposed Facebook Memorial for PN suicides

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:40 am
by GregT
Okay, this is what I thought I'd hear from you all. I've told the guy that I've bounced his idea off of some other PNers and that we feel that it wouldn't benefit any of their families and that it would most likely be an intrusion to everyone involved.

Thank you.

Greg

Re: Proposed Facebook Memorial for PN suicides

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:31 am
by nyt
I agree with Celeste.

Re: Proposed Facebook Memorial for PN suicides

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:00 am
by Amanda
I agree with Celeste and feel that this area of discussion is inappropriate and far too sensitive.

Re: Proposed Facebook Memorial for PN suicides

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:49 pm
by acw
I'm not sure I'd say it is inappropriate and far too sensitive. This board has seen plenty of topics that push those boundaries (which I feel is an extremely important part of the work that's done here). Unfortunately, suicide is still often seen as a taboo subject, and often makes many people uncomfortable.

Greg, it probably depends on how well you know the families of those who have taken their lives. If they are close friends, then ask them and let them make the decision whether or not they would want to be associated with this memorial. If you merely "knew of" these people, but were not close (or if you did not know the surviving family members well), then I agree that contacting them is in appropriate.