Page 1 of 1

HERNIA SYMPTOMS

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 am
by pizzarios
Hey all

For those of you with genitofemoral or ilioinguinal hernias, what are your PN type symptoms?
Are they constant or do they come and go?

Need more insight before investigating this for myself. My PT found tiny lumpy thing in inguinal area and when she runs over that general area she is able to recreate my pn symptoms in the vagina, both when internally and externally massages this region.

Thanks

Re: HERNIA SYMPTOMS

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:49 pm
by Karyn
Hi Pizz,
Has your PT recommended you to have imaging done (ultrasound?) to identify the "lumpy thing" or does she have any idea what it may be?
Best,
Karyn

Re: HERNIA SYMPTOMS

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 pm
by pizzarios
Honestly, I think she's legally very wary of advising me to get anything more "done" or "diagnosed." We both thought getting my hip checked out was a logical step, since no amount of
PT or stretching would increased my limited ROM or pain in the joint. I went ahead with a hip MRA and it only made my hip pain and subsequent pn pain much worse after getting it done. I think she's scared to advise me into any direction after I had such a bad reaction to the hip MRA.

I can't tell if she thinks its a hernia or not - She aknowledges there's something there, but seems like she's holding back or playing dumb when I press her for her thoughts of what it is...
All she'll say is that she's not convinced that my labral defect (seen on hip MRA by both radiologist and OS) is the sole cause of my PN symptoms. She's also doesn't think that PN or PNE is my specific problem. She is quite sure that some referred pain is coming from the area around my left psoas, ilioinguinal/genitofemoral area - that it's some sort of possible neuralgia etc with those nerves or possible tendonitis in the psoas. I get substantial relief from nerve pain after we work on these areas, as apposed to the pudendal nerve. No relief OR pain comes when she works on pudendal nerve.

She explained that her knowledge of pelvic hernia is that the pain is CONSTANT - and not intermittent, like I have experienced. Still, I'd like to rule out an occult hernia - as that would be an easier first thing to fix than a hip surgery... It's a matter of presenting a convincing argument for a consult with a gastro/hernia surgeon and subsequent US, etc. I have *some* of the hernia symptoms, but not all - and not all the time. I can't seem to find enough info about how they cause specific types of pelvic pain online. It's usually just a blanket statement of "pelvic pain." I found ONE article that said hernias can mimic PN symptoms, etc.

Sorry if this answer was way too wordy. Just trying to be thorough.

THANKS KARYN!

Re: HERNIA SYMPTOMS

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:15 pm
by Karyn
Hi Pizz,
OK. I can understand your PT being guarded with diagnostic advice.
pizzarios wrote:She explained that her knowledge of pelvic hernia is that the pain is CONSTANT - and not intermittent, like I have experienced. Still, I'd like to rule out an occult hernia - as that would be an easier first thing to fix than a hip surgery...
I don't know enough about hernias to comment if the pain should be constant or not. But I agree with you about having the area imaged. Please keep in mind that it's possible for you to have BOTH pathologies. You do indeed have documented images confirming the hip pathology.
Hugs,
Karyn

Re: HERNIA SYMPTOMS

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 pm
by acw
pizzarios wrote:Hey all

For those of you with genitofemoral or ilioinguinal hernias, what are your PN type symptoms?
Are they constant or do they come and go?
Thanks
I had an inguinal hernia, discovered almost 8 years ago now. Didn't know anything about PN at the time. It's been a while, and I've had other issues since then, but here's what I remember about the hernia that seems consistent with PN symptoms.
Pain when sitting
Pain with exercise
Pain with intercourse
Intermittent pain

After my hernia repair, the ilioinguinal nerve ended up being damaged (basically trapped in scar tissue). That was misdiagnosed for a while, and even led me to a neurologist who suspected PN. She sent me to a PN specialist who was certain I had PN/PNE. That's another topic I won't go into here, but I mention it because a hernia could affect other nerves in the inguinal area, too.

Re: HERNIA SYMPTOMS

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 pm
by pizzarios
Thank you all for your input. It's. huge help to get others insight.
Now I have to convince my husband to let me see another specialist.... :roll:

Re: HERNIA SYMPTOMS

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:40 am
by donstore
A lump where you describe that is painful when pushed is typical of a hernia.