Diagnostic injections
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:58 am
I am trying to decide on having obturator and ilioiguinal surgery with Dr. Conway to relieve pain I have bilaterally in the front inner thigh/groin area of my legs. Worse on the left. However, I am not sure if the genital femoral nerve is also involved in this pain syndrome.
I am currently seeing a new pain management doctor, whom I like very much so, who suggested he block all three groin nerves including the iliohypogastric and see if it provides any relief. If so, then going back and blocking each one individually and seeing which one(s) is the real culprit. Dr. Conway did do and eMG on my obturator and that was an 10.17 on the left leg.
Dr. conway and Dr. Williams both recommended first blocking the ilioiguinal nerve to see how much relief I get from my groin pain, and then have the doctor then block the genitofemoral nerve or at least the genital branch of the genitofemoral nerve at the external left in the groin. If they also know how to block the femoral branch of the GFN then they could try that too. They suggested basically the same thing but eliminating doing all three together and getting to doing each one individually right at the start to better diagnosis that true pain generator that way I would know 1) what nerves need to be surgically addressed and 2) what surgeon I need to go to as Dr. Conway does not do the genital femoral nerve.
I was just wondering what you guys would do. I did put a phone call into my new pain management doctor to discuss this with him, but I only got a call back from a PA who said she would relay the message. So I guess I will have to wait and see what happens the day of the block and ultimately it will be the pain doc's decision.
Again, I really do like and trust him so either way it will by fine. I think he is just looking at it has giving me the most pain relief and the surgeons are looking at it as more diagnostic purposes. Honestly, I am in so much pain but also want the right surgery ASAP that either way will be fine with me. I think I am kind of hoping he will do it the way the surgeons are recommending, however I think I would like to start with the genital femoral nerve as I think that my be the main source of my pain and then do the ilioiguinal.
Again, any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. My block is Wednesday.
Sincerely,
Annmarie
I am currently seeing a new pain management doctor, whom I like very much so, who suggested he block all three groin nerves including the iliohypogastric and see if it provides any relief. If so, then going back and blocking each one individually and seeing which one(s) is the real culprit. Dr. Conway did do and eMG on my obturator and that was an 10.17 on the left leg.
Dr. conway and Dr. Williams both recommended first blocking the ilioiguinal nerve to see how much relief I get from my groin pain, and then have the doctor then block the genitofemoral nerve or at least the genital branch of the genitofemoral nerve at the external left in the groin. If they also know how to block the femoral branch of the GFN then they could try that too. They suggested basically the same thing but eliminating doing all three together and getting to doing each one individually right at the start to better diagnosis that true pain generator that way I would know 1) what nerves need to be surgically addressed and 2) what surgeon I need to go to as Dr. Conway does not do the genital femoral nerve.
I was just wondering what you guys would do. I did put a phone call into my new pain management doctor to discuss this with him, but I only got a call back from a PA who said she would relay the message. So I guess I will have to wait and see what happens the day of the block and ultimately it will be the pain doc's decision.
Again, I really do like and trust him so either way it will by fine. I think he is just looking at it has giving me the most pain relief and the surgeons are looking at it as more diagnostic purposes. Honestly, I am in so much pain but also want the right surgery ASAP that either way will be fine with me. I think I am kind of hoping he will do it the way the surgeons are recommending, however I think I would like to start with the genital femoral nerve as I think that my be the main source of my pain and then do the ilioiguinal.
Again, any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. My block is Wednesday.
Sincerely,
Annmarie