Page 1 of 1

3T MRI or an MR Neurography?

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:34 pm
by RiseAbove
Hello. I'm hoping you all can help me. Since 2006, maybe even longer, I have been experiencing burning pain in my butt, back of both thighs, and even in my penis. After years of not being helped by doctors, I did my own research and came across pudendal nerve entrapment. I really feel that that is what I've been suffering from all of these years. I tried talking to different neurologists, and even a physiatrist, about it but they just don't take me seriously. They won't listen. After more research, I learned about MR neurographies and 3T MRIs. I tried to get a neurologist to write me a referral, but he refused. I don't understand why it is so difficult for a neurologist to write me a prescription so I can get a test done to check my nerves. Can anybody tell me what would be more beneficial to have? I live in NJ and, because of stomach problems and anxiety, it is difficult for me to travel. However, I will do so if it will help me. Thank you.

Re: 3T MRI or an MR Neurography?

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:26 pm
by stephanies
Will any of the doctors you have seen recommend an evaluation by a pelvic pain physical therapist? In my opinion, imaging sometimes gives useful information but it is better to first have a person evaluate your situation hands-on. Dr. Richard Marvel is a PN doctor in the Baltimore/Annapolis, MD area. Depending on where you are in NJ, that may not be too far to travel for another opinion as well.

Sincerely,
Stephanies

Re: 3T MRI or an MR Neurography?

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:48 pm
by RiseAbove
stephanies wrote:Will any of the doctors you have seen recommend an evaluation by a pelvic pain physical therapist? In my opinion, imaging sometimes gives useful information but it is better to first have a person evaluate your situation hands-on. Dr. Richard Marvel is a PN doctor in the Baltimore/Annapolis, MD area. Depending on where you are in NJ, that may not be too far to travel for another opinion as well.

Sincerely,
Stephanies
Thank you for the reply, Stephanies. I've been to so many different doctors throughout the years. I've had so many tests done: MRI's, EMG's, etc. I figured, at this point, I can just send all of my medical records to Dr. Potter, or whomever, and have either a 3T MRI or an MRN, whichever is more recommended. Due to stomach problems and anxiety, it is very difficult to travel. Just having to go to NY has me very anxious.

Re: 3T MRI or an MR Neurography?

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:59 pm
by stephanies
I understand the difficulty with travel. My opinion is that imaging can be useful but it cannot make a PN diagnosis. It cannot replace seeing a doctor who can listen to your symptoms and examine you. Search this site for info on both forms of imaging and you will see there is much about this nerve that the images cannot tell you. Maybe there is a doctor in NYC who is PN aware and can help?

Sincerely,
Stephanies

Re: 3T MRI or an MR Neurography?

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:35 am
by janetm2
There are some PN aware doctors listed in NJ that can provide some treatments and would probably write you a referral for imaging. Also PTs that may be able to help sort out any muscular or pelvic floor issues. Go to the homepage then the listings and North America and NJ. Hope fully someone is nearby. The MRN I had was to rule out other things and did not show PNE however Dr Marvel diagnosed PNE and in surgery saw the entrapment and decompressed the nerve. It was trapped between the SS and ST ligaments which is one of the common occurences. Good luck.
Janet