Where to get a 3T MRI?

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Post Reply
snowmanman
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:27 am

Where to get a 3T MRI?

Post by snowmanman »

Hello everyone,

For the past 8 months I have had numbness in my penis and testicles. No pain, thankfully. No touch sensitivity, but can feel a hard pinch. Erections and orgasms are still possible, but more difficult. I have seen a few doctors and none of them can seem to figure out what is causing this. I have had MRIs of the brain and spine to rule out problems there and they came back fine. I've had many different blood tests and all came back fine.

I mentioned the pudendal nerve to my neurologist and he said it would be odd to have only numbness with no pain on the pudendal nerve. That was the end of that conversation and he continued with other blood tests which all came back negative. I never mentioned the pudendal nerve to him again. I don't know if what I have is caused by the pudendal nerve, but I'd like to have some sort of test to confirm if that's whats wrong or not.

I was wondering if anyone would recommend that I get one of these so called 3T MRIs. Apparently a 3T MRI of the pelvis can show the pudendal nerve? Would this be a good option? Is it worth trying? The thing is, I don't even know where or how to begin to get one of these done. I'd appreciate advice on this matter. Thanks!
blightcp
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Where to get a 3T MRI?

Post by blightcp »

You are not nuts, I started out similar to you in 2009, then it progressed to feeling something in my groin. It took another 2 years to get to a correct diagnosis.

Hopefully, you have just pissed off the nerve, and giving it a break will help it heal.

My first suggestion is to try to limit sitting, and absolutely no bicycle, motorcycle, horseback, or any other activity that can put pressure and impact to you pelvis.

If that means taking a vacation then do it if you can. If taking time off and avoiding sitting helps then you have a good chance of the nerve just being tweaked and not full PN (pudendal nueralga).

From my own study, yes a T3 may find a nerve, but only if it is mechanically deformed in some way.

The best suggestion i can give you is to find a good PT that does "pelvic health" and knows how to work with the pudendal nerve. They can't "diagnose" but they can pretty much tell what is going on and it may help you narrow the search of what is bothering you. They can also help get the muscles in that area to relax.

I will warn you, most PN PT is internal, AKA rectal, but if it is PN you will know in 30 seconds. If you have had you prostate checked it is the same kind of test but in another place. They will then get the muscles to relax, if you know the military term "pucker factor" it's those muscles.

I was apprehensive at first about being treated by a woman but she was very friendly and professional.

I hope this helps.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
nyt
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:24 am

Re: Where to get a 3T MRI?

Post by nyt »

Two places that have protocols that focus specifically on imaging the pudendal nerve.

1. Dr. Potter in NYC at Hospital For Special Surgery

2. Dr. Kalinkin in Phoenix, AZ at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center. She works closely with Dr. Hibner.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Post Reply

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”