Page 1 of 3

Hibner Surgery... ?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:28 am
by desperate
Called Hibner's office and was told he is no longer accepting male patients. Not sure if this is true 100% but that is just what i was told when i called. Just an FYI for the males.

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:03 am
by janetm2
Desperate thanks for clarifying this, I had thought he was seeing men. Sorry I passed on the wrong info.
Janet

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:03 pm
by RJR
Correct...Hibner sent a letter to all his male patients explaining rationale...it is not specific to PNE or Hibner...rather a gyn medical board policy change about gyns treating men - impacts a MD's board certification. Very unfortunate impact to those seeking help.

Best,
Bob

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:17 pm
by stephanies
Wow. I thought this was reversed a while back.

Then the options for men are either out of the U.S. or the nerurosurgeons like Filler.

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:21 am
by Violet M
Wait, what about that New York Times story about the guy who sued and the decision by the gyn board was reversed? Does anyone remember where that was posted?

Violet

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:23 am
by Violet M
Here it is. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/healt ... grady&_r=0

Here's the news release on the ABOG website:

http://www.abog.org/news.asp

Sounds like they are not prohibiting OBgyn's from treating men but they are strongly recommending they treat a majority of women and they also made this statement:

ABOG cautions that this new definition and certification policies are not an endorsement for board-certified Diplomates to practice in areas outside of their specialty stating: "The American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology does not and cannot attest to the knowledge, judgment, skills, and qualifications of Diplomates related to practice outside of the scope of the specialty of Obstetrics and Gynecology."

I guess I can't blame Dr. Hibner for taking this seriously. Maybe the liability is too high? All I can say is it's very sad for guys. :(

Violet

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:09 pm
by blightcp
And I can understand where a OBGYN that has 25-30% male patients it a BIG red flag to those who are not aware of PN.

Dr. Conway is still a practicing OBGYN, and I this may be why he still has traditional patients.

If this is the case we need ALLOT more good surgeons in the US for male PN patients or neurosurgeons need to get involved.

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:37 pm
by janetm2
Violet,
thanks for posting and noting the issue listed with the "reversal", I was not quite sure what to say. I agree with your and blightcp's sentiments. What ever happened with the petition that started for PN/PNE that was to be sent to universities? Not sure if we got enough signatures or no one has had time to send it out? Do you think it might help us get some movement towards getting those doctors needed for men and women as well? Is this something the board might consider?
Janet

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:02 am
by desperate
So who is it that men should see.

If Bautrant does the TIR approach - which is less successful (if at all) for men; so I've heard

Robert is retiring
Antolack is retiring

WTF

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:31 am
by Violet M
I don't know what I would do if I were a male in the US thinking of surgery right now. It's a crying shame really because in addition to RJR I know of another male who had surgery from Hibner who is doing great now.

Dellon? Aszmann in Austria?

Bautrant actually can do the TG approach. He used to but I have no idea if he would consider it now. I don't know if he could do a modified approach like HIbner or Conway.

I think there is an orthopedic surgeon in Australia doing TG surgery now. Maybe Catherine could confirm this. Don't know if he does a modified approach.

I have my doubts that we are going to get anywhere with the ABOG because my guess is that they are concerned about liability. It is completely understandable that they would not want to give the OK for physicians to treat males when they have been trained to treat females. But maybe we could voice our concerns to the International Pelvic Pain Society and see what their thoughts are?

Violet