PNE/PN and Sexual Disability
Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:47 am
Hi I am a 35 year old male from Toronto, Canada who possibly suffers from Pudendal nerve issues. My issues involve numbness and severe sexual disability there is no pain...unless you count mental and emotional torment as pain.
SYMPTOMS:
Penile Numbness: Starting when I was 23 there were transient problems with the penis I would go for periods of time (weeks or months) with droopy erections and altered sensations but this was only a minor nuisance most of the time things worked well although even when things worked well I would loose feeling in the penis for about 1 hour after defecation. Then around May 2011 I began to experience transient extreme numbness in the penis but again it most of the time things were fine until April 2012 when things down there more or less became permanently numb...I have lost any ability to experience sexual pleasure as a result. While the penis is mostly numb there is occasional discomfort at the base of the penis. During the transient numbness phase I would repeatedly wake up with a full bladder and good penile sensation then when I would empty my bladder I would go numb again. Also again during the transient numbness phase I could regain sensation of the penis by paradoxically practising very frequent sexual activity then I would go numb again when I started to abstain...WEIRD.
Erectile Problems: There is occasional erectile dysfunction but most of the time things work well (although having an erect penis that is numb is about as useful as having a chocolate ashtray on my motorbike) at other times I have the reverse issue...it has trouble going down! Literally I can awake at night with a numb erection that can last for hours until I get up and walk around for a few minutes or empty my bladder. These priapism type erections started around may 2011 the same type as the onset of severe numbness symptoms.
Urination problems: I have suffered from frequent urination my whole life though in recent years it has flared up at times and I can awake 2 to 3 times at night to pass urine during these flare ups. There has occasionally been incomplete voiding issues but that happens very infrequently.
Defecation Issues: I cannot move my bowels unless I practise a precise relaxation technique...I have had this problem since I was 15. I can eat all the fibre and drink all the water in the world if I am stressed or nervous I simply never get the urge to go. I am also prone to rectal bleeding from what I assume are heamroids. There are also funny sensations around the rectal area but again I assume they are just hemmroids.
TESTING TO DATE:
MRI of Lumbar Spine: Negative for herniated disks or stenosis
Hormone Tests: Bioavailable Testosterone, Estradiol, Prolactin, DHEA, FSH, Progesterone, PSA all healthy
Ultrasound of Prostate, Bladder, Testicles: no issues except a hydrocele on one testicle
Urine test for infection: Negative
Physical exam by 2 Urologists revealed fibrosis on the penis (Peyronies Disease) which could be a possible cause of penile numbness.
TREATMENT TO DATE:
Antibiotics: No Improvement
Dopamine Agonists (if problems sue to brain chemistry): No Improvement
Pentoxifylline (400mg 2x daily) and Verapamil injections into the penile plaques (yes...OUCH!): significant reduction in penile plaques and SOME (and VERY slow) improvement in sensation (but nowhere near back to normal).
WHY DO I THINK ITS A PUDENDAL ISSUE?:
Process of elimination. What else could it be?
OTHER RELEVANT INFO:
Was circumsized at age 11 as I could not pull the skin back
Had appendix removed at age 18
I have a history of LOTS of bicycle riding BUT I stopped bike riding in 2010 about 1 year before the severe numbness problems started.
STEPS I AM TAKING WRT PUDENDAL ISSUES:
I have booked an appointment with a Pelvic Floor Specialist for an assessment.
I am going to ask my Urologist again for a referral to Dr. Gordon I asked him last time but he asked that I wait a few months after we finished the verapamil injections to see how things turned out and he said we could discuss that next time.
I have emailed several out of country doctors such as Dr. Aszmann and got a quote for surgery.
CONCERNS:
I know we are supposed to be patient but I am really scared that if I wait too long the nerve will go permanently kaput if its entrapped too long. I would feel a lot better if I knew I still had quite a bit of time. The reason why it has taken me so long to address PN issues is because once I got the Peyronies Disease diagnosis I was like HOORAY an answer and I totally immersed myself in treating that condition as it was a POSSIBLE cause of my penile numbness. I could jump into surgery or I could try conservative stuff first BUT keep in mind I have suffered from this for a while now and I am worried time is running out. Since I have been on pentoxifylline pleasure sensation has occasionally flickered on and off at different parts of the penis so I am sure many if not all of those pleasure nerves STILL work (something is just choking them out) but for how long? Dealing with this is hell and one of the reasons why I am posting here is to blow off steam...when I talk to friends and family about this they show very little empathy and just say things that make things worse...they scold me by lecturing me about people who are ALLEGEDLY worse off than me (in many cases I would trade places with the people described ex: My 50 year old uncle is dying of cancer! UGHH I would rather live to 50 with a good penis then die of cancer than live till 80 like this) they then scold me again when I discuss possible plans to spend money overseas for treatmen (that should be money for your retirement!) well I would rather starve at 75 and have a potentially good penis and sex life than be miserable but solvent till im 85. These same people themselves have spent thousands on back pain treatment overseas its as if spending money on pain problems yeah that s fine but as soon as you want to spend money to fix a sexual disability you are being irresponsible. Sorry for the rant would appreciate any feedback you guys have.
SYMPTOMS:
Penile Numbness: Starting when I was 23 there were transient problems with the penis I would go for periods of time (weeks or months) with droopy erections and altered sensations but this was only a minor nuisance most of the time things worked well although even when things worked well I would loose feeling in the penis for about 1 hour after defecation. Then around May 2011 I began to experience transient extreme numbness in the penis but again it most of the time things were fine until April 2012 when things down there more or less became permanently numb...I have lost any ability to experience sexual pleasure as a result. While the penis is mostly numb there is occasional discomfort at the base of the penis. During the transient numbness phase I would repeatedly wake up with a full bladder and good penile sensation then when I would empty my bladder I would go numb again. Also again during the transient numbness phase I could regain sensation of the penis by paradoxically practising very frequent sexual activity then I would go numb again when I started to abstain...WEIRD.
Erectile Problems: There is occasional erectile dysfunction but most of the time things work well (although having an erect penis that is numb is about as useful as having a chocolate ashtray on my motorbike) at other times I have the reverse issue...it has trouble going down! Literally I can awake at night with a numb erection that can last for hours until I get up and walk around for a few minutes or empty my bladder. These priapism type erections started around may 2011 the same type as the onset of severe numbness symptoms.
Urination problems: I have suffered from frequent urination my whole life though in recent years it has flared up at times and I can awake 2 to 3 times at night to pass urine during these flare ups. There has occasionally been incomplete voiding issues but that happens very infrequently.
Defecation Issues: I cannot move my bowels unless I practise a precise relaxation technique...I have had this problem since I was 15. I can eat all the fibre and drink all the water in the world if I am stressed or nervous I simply never get the urge to go. I am also prone to rectal bleeding from what I assume are heamroids. There are also funny sensations around the rectal area but again I assume they are just hemmroids.
TESTING TO DATE:
MRI of Lumbar Spine: Negative for herniated disks or stenosis
Hormone Tests: Bioavailable Testosterone, Estradiol, Prolactin, DHEA, FSH, Progesterone, PSA all healthy
Ultrasound of Prostate, Bladder, Testicles: no issues except a hydrocele on one testicle
Urine test for infection: Negative
Physical exam by 2 Urologists revealed fibrosis on the penis (Peyronies Disease) which could be a possible cause of penile numbness.
TREATMENT TO DATE:
Antibiotics: No Improvement
Dopamine Agonists (if problems sue to brain chemistry): No Improvement
Pentoxifylline (400mg 2x daily) and Verapamil injections into the penile plaques (yes...OUCH!): significant reduction in penile plaques and SOME (and VERY slow) improvement in sensation (but nowhere near back to normal).
WHY DO I THINK ITS A PUDENDAL ISSUE?:
Process of elimination. What else could it be?
OTHER RELEVANT INFO:
Was circumsized at age 11 as I could not pull the skin back
Had appendix removed at age 18
I have a history of LOTS of bicycle riding BUT I stopped bike riding in 2010 about 1 year before the severe numbness problems started.
STEPS I AM TAKING WRT PUDENDAL ISSUES:
I have booked an appointment with a Pelvic Floor Specialist for an assessment.
I am going to ask my Urologist again for a referral to Dr. Gordon I asked him last time but he asked that I wait a few months after we finished the verapamil injections to see how things turned out and he said we could discuss that next time.
I have emailed several out of country doctors such as Dr. Aszmann and got a quote for surgery.
CONCERNS:
I know we are supposed to be patient but I am really scared that if I wait too long the nerve will go permanently kaput if its entrapped too long. I would feel a lot better if I knew I still had quite a bit of time. The reason why it has taken me so long to address PN issues is because once I got the Peyronies Disease diagnosis I was like HOORAY an answer and I totally immersed myself in treating that condition as it was a POSSIBLE cause of my penile numbness. I could jump into surgery or I could try conservative stuff first BUT keep in mind I have suffered from this for a while now and I am worried time is running out. Since I have been on pentoxifylline pleasure sensation has occasionally flickered on and off at different parts of the penis so I am sure many if not all of those pleasure nerves STILL work (something is just choking them out) but for how long? Dealing with this is hell and one of the reasons why I am posting here is to blow off steam...when I talk to friends and family about this they show very little empathy and just say things that make things worse...they scold me by lecturing me about people who are ALLEGEDLY worse off than me (in many cases I would trade places with the people described ex: My 50 year old uncle is dying of cancer! UGHH I would rather live to 50 with a good penis then die of cancer than live till 80 like this) they then scold me again when I discuss possible plans to spend money overseas for treatmen (that should be money for your retirement!) well I would rather starve at 75 and have a potentially good penis and sex life than be miserable but solvent till im 85. These same people themselves have spent thousands on back pain treatment overseas its as if spending money on pain problems yeah that s fine but as soon as you want to spend money to fix a sexual disability you are being irresponsible. Sorry for the rant would appreciate any feedback you guys have.