Page 1 of 1

PNE - is medication going to do any good?

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm
by Haydock
Hi - I'm new to this board

I have had PN or PNE since June, at least that's when the symptoms came on

These now include burning scrotum, burning feeling in rectum, burning urination - which is getting worse; constipation. I have seen 5 UK consultants without getting very far ; though the last agreed with me that it could be a pudendal issue. I'm paying out money and still having to self diagnose.

I am pretty sure that I have an entrapment issue.

I am on gabapentin, currently 2700mg/day

My question is if I suffer entrapment as opposed to PN, is this medication, or any other, likely to do me any good in terms of symptom reduction?

Re: PNE - is medication going to do any good?

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:43 pm
by janetm2
Haydock,
Welcome to the forum. Yes medications can help but it is trial and error to find what !ay help you. Each of us reacts differently. You are on a pretty high dose though I think I have heard of 3600mg per day gabapentin.you may want to try something different. There is a list of medications off the homepage under treatment options and then medication management. I hope you can find one that helps. Maybe you can print that list and work with your doctor.
Janet

Re: PNE - is medication going to do any good?

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:13 am
by April
Hi Haydock,

You can also try to combine medications. I am on four---some at a fairly low dose--and I am pain free most days and have only mild burning occasionally in the evening. I take 600 mg of Gralise (which is the extended release form of gabapentin) and 50 mg of tramadol in the morning and 50 mg nortriptyline and 4mg of tolterodine (for bladder frequency) at night. I'm also on a stool softener due the side effects of the meds. My quality of life has gone way up since I started these meds. So, as Janet recommended, I would review the list on the site and ask your doctors about the various options if you don't think the gabapentin is helping.

April

Re: PNE - is medication going to do any good?

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:13 am
by Haydock
Thanks Janet and April, that's encouraging.

I've had amitripyline 10mg added to the gabapentin this morning. I saw a Pain Consultant last week. See how that goes for a few weeks. Your posts were valuable, I hadn't heard of some of the meds you suggested and I will certainly follow your suggestions