Page 1 of 1

Lost feeling in penis shaft after sepsis

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:26 am
by NoFeelingBelow
I had a major septic episode last year that required back surgery to drain my spine of infection and they also had to peel abscesses off of the spine, removing some pieces of bone. Fun. A result of that particular surgery is random numb pieces of my body including, unfortunately, my penis.

Oddly, the head of the penis is fine -- it's the shaft. I can't tell when I have an erection. Sometimes I think I have one and I don't. Then when I do, I don't know unless I touch it or see it. Sex has gone from being a 10 to about a 2. More than half the time I can't even finish because of lack of feeling.

During the day, if I sit, I feel pressure between the scrotum and my anus, as if I had been riding a bike for a long time. If I stand it can get better, but there are times when it feels that way even standing (I have a standing desk).

I'm seeing a urologist tomorrow and a neurologist soon. I am guessing that in the operation of my back, they damaged a nerve, or it was damaged by the infection. I was told a year ago "oh, the numbness will dissipate over time." Yeah, hasn't happened.

I'm glad I found this forum. Hopefully, someone has some advice or a place to look past these doctors.

Re: Lost feeling in penis shaft after sepsis

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:44 am
by Violet M
Wow, that's dreadful what you have gone through. Based on your history I think it's really hard to say with certainty that a peripheral nerve is the culprit as opposed to a spinal radiculopathy. Peripheral nerves can heal over time but the spinal cord is not as hopeful, unfortunately. Nerves can take years to heal. My acupuncturist had a tumor removed from her leg and it took 12 years to get sensation back in it. So, I believe there is really no way to predict with certainty when or if you will get sensation back. But you can do things to help promote healing. I did some hyperbaric oxygen treatments after my PNE surgery. I don't know if that is part of the reason I had a successful outcome but there is some evidence that it helps peripheral nerves to heal. It's expensive though. I was able to get my insurance to pay for half of it.
I also did alternating hot/cold water therapy to promote circulation. There are supplements and healthy diets that can help your health overall but I am not aware of any that are magic cures. Exercise to improve circulation might also be important.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. Hopefully some other forum members will have some good advice for you.

Violet

Re: Lost feeling in penis shaft after sepsis

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:49 am
by April
That does sound dreadful. How did the appointment with the urologist go?

April

Re: Lost feeling in penis shaft after sepsis

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:30 am
by NoFeelingBelow
They found nothing wrong physically, so now it's on to the nerve people.

Re: Lost feeling in penis shaft after sepsis

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:06 am
by Violet M
Well, good luck with the neurologist. My neurologist didn't have a clue but some are more educated on the topic of PN than others.

Violet

Re: Lost feeling in penis shaft after sepsis

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:11 pm
by chenonceau
It seems numbness is a very difficult problem to address for doctors, even neurologists.
Hard to measure and return of sensation is randomly happening.

You say you have several pieces that are numb, what are the others ?