Another "nutcase" publication

Published Reports and Medical Information
Useful links to PN related articles.
Violet M

Another "nutcase" publication

Post by Violet M »

Comments please. Here's mine........why are we spending money on these types of studies?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21542529

J Reprod Med. 2011 Mar-Apr;56(3-4):123-9.
Patient beliefs about pain diagnosis in chronic pelvic pain: relation to pain experience, mood and disability.
Roth RS, Punch MR, Bachman JE.
Source
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA. randyr@umich.edu
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To examine the contribution of pain beliefs (fear regarding pain diagnosis) in understanding pain experience, mood, affective distress, marital interactions surrounding pain, and functional disability among women with chronic pelvic pain (CPP).

STUDY DESIGN:
One hundred forty-nine consecutive females with CPP presenting to a university hospital Chronic Pain Clinic completed self-report inventories assessing demographic status, pain-related morbidity, depressive symptoms and global affective distress. Pain beliefs were assessed by subject response to the question "Do you think your pain is due to something more serious or different from what doctors have told you?" and subjects were categorized into "Yes More Serious" (n = 77) and "Not More Serious" (n = 72) groups.

RESULTS:
Subjects who believed they had "something more serious" as a cause for their pain reported more severe pain intensity (p < 0.05) and pain experience (p < 0.05), greater suffering due to pain (p = 0.01), a less attentive spouse/family member when in pain (p < 0.05), more severe pain disability (p < 0.05), and greater affective distress (p < 0.001).

CONCLUSION:
These findings provide further evidence for the psychological distress and functional disability that may result when CPP patients possess concerns,fears and possible misattributions regarding the cause of their pelvic pain.

PMID: 21542529 [PubMed - in process]
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
nyt

Re: Another "nutcase" publication

Post by nyt »

Problem 1: This study didn't correlate this statement "Do you think your pain is due to something more serious or different from what doctors have told you?" with whether that was really true because (see number 2).

Problem 2: They make the assumption that the dr.'s diagnosis is correct, MAJOR error on the study design.

Problem 3: They discount individuals with pain and try to make the problem out to be the patient and not the dr (see Problem 2).

I'm sure if they did a study on the members of this forum that went for months or years with the wrong diagnosis we would disprove this study. I know many of us figured out our own diagnosis.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hmm, nyt I wonder just how many of us HAD to self diagnose ? ? and then search to find someone who couild diagnose and therefore help. I know I would have got NO WHERE without the internet and forums with friends like HOPE.
Thanks everyone,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Well said, Helen!
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Violet M wrote:Comments please. Here's mine........why are we spending money on these types of studies?
That's my comment, too. I also agree with nyt, Helen & Lernica. If someone is going to do studies on CPP, WHY can't they do them on the CAUSES???
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
ezer

Post by ezer »

This is by far the most inane study I have read on the subject of pelvic pain.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

I agree wholeheartedly. This is the same university hospital system that the Vulvar Pain Clinic that I went to was in. All they wanted to do was give me drugs for pain. I guess that's what pain clinics do, but when I told them I didn't want to try any more drugs, and I wanted to figure out what was causing the pain, their response was "oh we don't know what causes the pain -- we just help you manage the pain.". No referral, no advice -- just here's some drugs and I hope you feel better. See ya in 6 months. What a crock!
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum

Return to “LIBRARY - PUBLICATIONS & MEDICAL JOURNALS”