Walking aids

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
hotblondee

Walking aids

Post by hotblondee »

I'm wondering if anyone uses any type of walking aids - ie canes, walkers etc. If yes, does it help with the pain when walking? I know when I go do groceries and I use the cart as a walking aid it seems to be a bit easier so I was wondering if anyone else has tried walking aids and what they prefer.
Ovarian cyst (left side) and endometriosis diagnosis and surgery - January 2011
Flare up of continuous pain - March 2012
Endometriosis surgery - May 2012
Nerve blocks -May 2012, June 2012 - did not work
Unconfirmed diagnosis of PN/E and ilionguinal nerve entrapment May 2012
Lidocane IV infusion July 2012 - no success

www.justmylife.ca
helenlegs 11

Re: Walking aids

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Yes I'm the same hotblondee and I don't shop in town where all that walking is involved if I can possibly avoid it. I also find that I can lean over and support myself so well with a shopping trolly. I feel quite sad admitting to that :( BUT internet shopping helps enormously too ;) .
i think that my preferred aid would be a segway, and fun too. I could really see that working, unless someone came up with a motorised shopping trolly ;) but in the mean time I have crutches, elbow ones and underarm style. Both sets collapse down to some extent but still a bulkyish item when not required. I find them very restricting initially until the pain kicks in strongly,(although the underarm less so) so a more foldaway type would be much better but i doubt they exist. A walking stick is no good whatsoever for me.
I would use the underarms if I had to stand for a while and can't lean on something but they are the most tricky to walk with. To be honest, I have them but I tend to shop in short bursts and when major pain starts up, give up, pop another pill and go home.
Actually my best walking aid are my shoes. I always wear Fitflops, have countless pairs, boots, sandals, sneakers. (Calluna on here) and I can't recommend them highly enough.
Take care,
Helen
Last edited by helenlegs 11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
calluna

Post by calluna »

I've been using a stick for a while now, mainly to have something to lean on when the pain suddenly went skyward (you know what I mean) so as to avoid leaning on buildings, railings and the husband. Or falling down in a not-so-little heap, which has happened when it caught me unawares.

Then I decided to get sensible about this, and 'graduated' to crutches, the ordinary NHS-style ones, super-cheap at £11.49 from eBay including delivery. It was a big emotional step which was very hard to take. It helped enormously, although it was hard on my hands and wrists. And my goodness people are so nice to you, when you are going around with a crutch! I should have taken this step a long time ago. It was daft struggling on and saying 'I can manage!' when it was so blatantly obvious that I really could not. The crutches - or even just a single crutch - really helped.

And now I've got my new meds, and everything is changing again. I no longer need the crutch. And several times now I've been out without even a stick.... I still can't quite believe it.

I would wish the same for us all.

Also, an unlimited supply of Fitflops, which I recommend unreservedly. I just wish they were cheaper!
hotblondee

Post by hotblondee »

Thank you for sharing what you use or have used. I've been suffering on and off since January 2011 and continuously since March 2012. I don't go shopping all that often as it doesn't take long for the pain to start flaring. Luckily whenever it has hit me very bad I've had a cart that would allow me to lean on it or my loving husband has been around to hold me up.

In the last couple of months I've been struggling more and more emotionally and mentally. My husband and I have been on vacation and there are so many things that love to and realize I can't because of this condition. Part of me knows that I should find a walking aid and the other part of me doesn't want to give into this condition. I know it sounds stupid but I'm 32 and am having a hard time accepting that I need more help than I am admitting to.

I'm definately going to take a look at the FitFlop sit and try them.

www.justmylife.ca
calluna

Post by calluna »

Oh no no it does not sound stupid in the slightest - I do sympathise. It is so hard getting one's head around this. It is so many things to deal with all at once - the impact on one's partner, and how us not being able to do things holds them back - and surely they must begrudge this? even though they say they don't..... and it goes on from there.

Try seeing it this way.

Using a walking aid is not giving in. It isn't, truly. It is the precise opposite.

If you are finding it difficult to walk and choose not to use a walking aid, then you are letting the pain condition make the decisions for you. The degree of pain will decide how much difficulty you have with walking.

If you choose to use a walking aid, then you are choosing to take back a degree of control. You will have less difficulty with walking, because of your decision to use the walking aid.

What can I say? - don't overthink it. It is just a choice. :)

Fitflops are good too, jolly comfy. :)

(And effective pain meds are even better....)
JMIL

Post by JMIL »

I have been using a cane for almost a year now. Unfortunately, I don’t think it was the best fit for me. I only travel to doctor appointments now, but I find it’s difficult to walk with so much pain and needed something to assist me. I realized I started favoring the side I use my cane with considerably so my husband encouraged me to consider a walker instead. I finally bought one today! It was another big, emotional step, but a necessary one. I’m 41 years old and was concerned about what people would think, but you know what, it doesn’t matter. The only thing that truly matters is how we are each able to manage our daily lives. If using some type of walking aid is part of it, then we have nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of. Believe me, you are not alone in how you are feeling but Calluna is right, we are taking back some control and not allowing the pain to make our decisions.

I have to agree with Helen about a Segway, though. I’ve said for years we should be able to obtain a Segway for our medical condition the same way someone unable to walk is able to obtain mobility scooters for their medical condition.

I wish you the best of luck and hope this helps you make your decision about purchasing a walking aid.

Take Care,

Jen
Vulvar burning '06; Dr Goldstein 2 vestibulectomys '09 & '10; 6/09 hysterectomy resulted in 3 add'l surgeries for hemorrahaging; Dr. Marvel diagnose PN recommend surgery; Dr Echenberg '11 diagnose PNE & IC treatments unsuccessful for PNE; Dr Conway TG PN Decompression Surgery in 7/12 still intense vulvar burning & tailbone/SI Joint pain; Dr Santo 3/13 MRI arthritis in SI Joints, SC Joint injection SI Joint Injection 4/13; Dr Gordin Hershey Medical Center 4/13 intrathecal pain pump?
hotblondee

Post by hotblondee »

Thanks Jen. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this. Last week I finally gave in and started walking with a cane. So far it is helping me greatly. I know that if I don't find any relief or improvement I will eventually be getting a walker - I'm just not there yet. I know I'm stubborn and am having difficulty even having to admit that I am and have to use a cane.

www.justmylife.ca
david s.

Post by david s. »

I wear custom-fitted knee ligament braces, which helps my walking tremendously. My braces are made by Townsend. I do not have trouble with my knees as such. Rather, it seems that weakened pelvic stability puts a strain on my knees. Prolotherapy has helped. Recently, I developed sciatica-like problems, with the nerves squeezed by my piriformis and, likely, obturator internus muscles. In the past, Botox injections fixed this. (As I recall, 100 units into the right and left sides of one muscle and 150 units into the right and left sides of the other muscle. This would be a total of 500 units, or five vials of Botox. I had several such sessions, a few months apart. I have not needed Botox in a few years). I can briefly reduce the symptoms by vigorous stretching and myofascial release with a lacrosse ball. I have just begun these efforts; unfortunately, the improvement is lasts only an hour or less. I may need another round of Botox.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi David,

Glad to hear that you do get at least some relief with the stretches and myofascial release. This is something that I have tried and tried so often but find the myofascial release ridiculously painful and although I can tolerate the stretches, including advanced piriformis ones, they does no good either long term.
I have had botox too, but only once. It definitely helped the p muscle pain but not the nerve pain. Did this help any nerve pain for you?
Keep working on those stretches etc. . . .a physio that I went to see was working on a guy who'd had tight piriformis muscles, she could feel the little knotted lumps in them but with her help he did recover and this was after suffering for years.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
david s.

Post by david s. »

Oops! Lacrosse ball irritated pudendal nerve. Sciatica relief from stretches lasts just a few minutes; they also irritate pudendal nerve. I may have no choice, but Botox.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”