Looking for the best doctor for a possible surgery.

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
MichaelaZ

Looking for the best doctor for a possible surgery.

Post by MichaelaZ »

Hello everyone. I've been a PN sufferer for a year now. I live in MN so I go see Dr. Antolak. Two days ago he told me I should have the decompression surgery. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should have him do it. I honestly dont like him much but it's convenient for me to have him so close. I would love to go to Dr. Hibner or Ansell. But I heard that the wait times are crazy there and you have to have all kinds of test to even get there (although I think I had all of them). Does anyone have any recommendations or statistics which out of those three doctors seems to be the best? I'm afraid to travel somewhere for the surgery but I will if I have to. I want the best.
Does anyone have any experience with seeing one Dr. and going to different one? Do they make you go thru everything again or would they just operate if nothing else worked with the first Dr.? Or would your original Dr. get offended that you saw someone else? I know I have the right to choose I just dont have much experience with different doctors.

If anyone have any advice or comment it would be much appreciated?

Thank you!
Michaela
frickla

Re: Looking for the best doctor for a possible surgery.

Post by frickla »

:evil:
Last edited by frickla on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulette

Post by paulette »

Michaela,

Dr. Conway allows you to get your injections close to home, which is one reason I chose him. He is also good about calling you back personally if you have a question. Good luck. Paulette
MichaelaZ

Post by MichaelaZ »

frickla wrote:What about Dr. Hal Martin in OKC?
Frickla, thank you for your suggestion. I've never heard of this doctor but I'll definitely look at some info.
MichaelaZ

Post by MichaelaZ »

paulette wrote:Michaela,

Dr. Conway allows you to get your injections close to home, which is one reason I chose him. He is also good about calling you back personally if you have a question. Good luck. Paulette
Paulette, thank you for your reply. I already had the nerve blocks here in MN and they didn't help me so I'm looking in the surgery right away now. I wonder if a new doctor would want me to go trhu those again. I hope not.
MichaelaZ

Post by MichaelaZ »

Does anyone know any pain doctor or neurosurgeon in or close to Minnesota other than Dr. Antolak?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

MichaelaZ wrote:
paulette wrote: I wonder if a new doctor would want me to go trhu those again. I hope not.
I think some of the PN docs would only make you go through one again, not the whole series. There are some that might not require anymore nerve blocks. I know Dr. Bautrant did not require anymore -- he accepted all of the ones I had from Dr. Antolak.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
MichaelaZ

Post by MichaelaZ »

Violet M wrote:
MichaelaZ wrote:
paulette wrote: I wonder if a new doctor would want me to go trhu those again. I hope not.
I think some of the PN docs would only make you go through one again, not the whole series. There are some that might not require anymore nerve blocks. I know Dr. Bautrant did not require anymore -- he accepted all of the ones I had from Dr. Antolak.
Violet M. Thank you for your response! Would you mind giving me some detais about your story? Mine started at the gym also. How did you get hurt? What were your symptoms? How long before you had a surgery? Did any other treatment helped you? What was your experience with Dr.A? Thank you!!
MichaelaZ

Post by MichaelaZ »

Violet M wrote:
MichaelaZ wrote:
Violet M. Thank you for your response! Would you mind giving me some details about your story? Mine started at the gym also. How did you get hurt? What were your symptoms? How long before you had a surgery? Did any other treatment helped you? What was your experience with Dr.A? Thank you!!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Michaela, I started having pain 2 months after beginning a weight-lifting program. You can read my story here: http://pudendalhope.org/node/65
Symptoms went to a minor ache in the right vaginal wall, then persistent genital arousal syndrome and full-blown PNE pain with burning internally and externally including inner thighs. I think it was about 18 months between initial pain until surgery. Nothing helped before surgery except ice and meds.

I had a good experience with Dr. Antolak. He was very kind and caring but the reason I did not have surgery from him was because I had pelvic instability and I did not want the ST ligament cut. Dr. Bautrant was one of the only surgeons back then who did not cut that ligament.

So, what type of exercise were you doing at the gym? Have you been evaluated by a physical therapist for possible ligament strain?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “SURGERY”