Hot Tubs

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
MMcCloud

Hot Tubs

Post by MMcCloud »

Does anyone have any information about the efficacy of sitting in a hot tub daily
as a way to help heal pudendal nerve pain after surgery?
ezer

Re: Hot Tubs

Post by ezer »

I find that the heavy level of chlorination that is needed for the upkeep of a hot tub clearly irritates the nerves in my case. I think a simple hot bath with Epsom Salt is better.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

I don't know of any official information, but after taking nightly hot baths and doing pelvic floor drops in tub for over a year now, I can say that particular home remedy has helped me. All my PT's strongly suggest daily hot baths with pelvic floor relaxation. Certainly can't hurt!

Lauren
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I used alternating hot and cold therapy 4 times a day during my recovery. Here's an article that suggests why this type of therapy might be more effective in the healing process than just hot or cold alone:

http://www.physicaltherapyinsport.com/a ... 6/abstract
http://tinyurl.com/6jvhaaq

Alternating hot and cold water immersion for athlete recovery: a review

Darryl J Cochrane

Abstract

Objectives. The aim of this review was to investigate whether alternating hot–cold water treatment is a legitimate training tool for enhancing athlete recovery. A number of mechanisms are discussed to justify its merits and future research directions are reported. Alternating hot–cold water treatment has been used in the clinical setting to assist in acute sporting injuries and rehabilitation purposes. However, there is overwhelming anecdotal evidence for it's inclusion as a method for post exercise recovery. Many coaches, athletes and trainers are using alternating hot–cold water treatment as a means for post exercise recovery.

Design. A literature search was performed using SportDiscus, Medline and Web of Science using the key words recovery, muscle fatigue, cryotherapy, thermotherapy, hydrotherapy, contrast water immersion and training.

Results. The physiologic effects of hot–cold water contrast baths for injury treatment have been well documented, but its physiological rationale for enhancing recovery is less known. Most experimental evidence suggests that hot–cold water immersion helps to reduce injury in the acute stages of injury, through vasodilation and vasoconstriction thereby stimulating blood flow thus reducing swelling. This shunting action of the blood caused by vasodilation and vasoconstriction may be one of the mechanisms to removing metabolites, repairing the exercised muscle and slowing the metabolic process down.

Conclusion. To date there are very few studies that have focussed on the effectiveness of hot–cold water immersion for post exercise treatment. More research is needed before conclusions can be drawn on whether alternating hot–cold water immersion improves recuperation and influences the physiological changes that characterises post exercise recovery

This University of Maryland website recommends 3 minutes in hot, 30 sec in cold which is pretty close to what I did:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/tend ... 000163.htm
http://tinyurl.com/3kmz29d

"Contrast hydrotherapy, or alternating hot and cold applications. After the first 24 - 48 hours, soak affected part for 3 minutes in hot water, then 30 seconds in cold water."
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

ezer wrote:I find that the heavy level of chlorination that is needed for the upkeep of a hot tub clearly irritates the nerves in my case. I think a simple hot bath with Epsom Salt is better.
Good point, and I can't believe I forgot to think about that. Chlorine can be a huge irritant, and I agree that Epsom salt is very soothing!
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”