Has anyone ever taken oral valium for sedation for an MRI to help with claustophobia? What was the dosage?
Thanks,
Emily B.
How Much Valium for MRI?
Re: How Much Valium for MRI?
I think it is a very good idea to take a valium. How much you take would really depend on whether or not you have taken it before, your weight, and what else you are taking. I would say 5mg or even 10mg would help you to relax during the MRI and to tolerate the knocking noise. I stupidly did not take anything for my first one and had trouble keeping still, so for the second one I took a Lortab (hydrocodone) and it helped so much with both pain and anxiety. They do give you earphones and a choice of music to listen to, and the technician tells you before the noise starts and how long it will last, like he says this one will be 2 minutes, this one will be five, etc.
It would be good to take it approximately 30 minutes before, and if you need a faster effect you can dissolve it under your tongue which will get it into the bloodstream faster. Ideally it would be best to try it out beforehand if you have never taken valium, and of course discuss with your doctor.
Jeanie
It would be good to take it approximately 30 minutes before, and if you need a faster effect you can dissolve it under your tongue which will get it into the bloodstream faster. Ideally it would be best to try it out beforehand if you have never taken valium, and of course discuss with your doctor.
Jeanie
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
Re: How Much Valium for MRI?
It helped me during MRI. I took 5mg about 30 mins before the MRI. Jeanie told you exactly how it works. Missy
-
HerMajesty
- Posts: 1134
- Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:41 am
- Location: North Las Vegas, Nevada
Re: How Much Valium for MRI?
I don't have claustrophobia but was given oral valium pre-MRI because I have neuropathic itch and was not confident in my ability to stay still. I had never taken it before so although they gave me two 5mg tabs I only took one because I was afraid of coming out of the machine totally blitzed out of my mind.
As it turned out, valium is a kind of wonder drug for me, it gave me very good symptom relief from neuropathy and it became a mainstay of my med regimen. However I really didn't feel sedated on 5mg, and would think for claustrophobia 10mg would be a better choice, as long as you have somebody to drive you home. People react very differently to meds though so I am not crazy about trying to predict a good dose for you. All I am saying is, I have not found I have any mental / head side effects at all on 5mg, so I think for me at least a sedative effect would require 10mg.
As it turned out, valium is a kind of wonder drug for me, it gave me very good symptom relief from neuropathy and it became a mainstay of my med regimen. However I really didn't feel sedated on 5mg, and would think for claustrophobia 10mg would be a better choice, as long as you have somebody to drive you home. People react very differently to meds though so I am not crazy about trying to predict a good dose for you. All I am saying is, I have not found I have any mental / head side effects at all on 5mg, so I think for me at least a sedative effect would require 10mg.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
-
Stephanie P
- Posts: 74
- Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:06 am
Re: How Much Valium for MRI?
Emily, I 've had regular head MRIs for some years in order to monitor a meningioma. Something like valium is a good idea. So is closing your eyes before you start sliding into the machine, and keeping them closed until you slide out - once I'd figured that out I didn't need sedation any more.
Pudendal neuralgia, diagosed as ischial bursitis, from 1985. Worsened by fall in 2003. Bilateral TG surgery in Nantes 2004. Nerve flattened both sides. No improvement, still cannot sit.
-
Christopher
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:55 pm
Re: How Much Valium for MRI?
One thing to make sure you do when you have an MRI if you have any claustrophobia whatsoever is CLOSE YOUR EYES. Tight. And don't open them for a single second. I just pretend I'm in bed or something to that effect.
The first MRI I had, before I learned this, I about came flying out of that damned tube screaming. I had take a small amount of klonopin, but it wasn't enough. I closed my eyes, though, and that made all the difference.
Good luck!
The first MRI I had, before I learned this, I about came flying out of that damned tube screaming. I had take a small amount of klonopin, but it wasn't enough. I closed my eyes, though, and that made all the difference.
Good luck!
Re: How Much Valium for MRI?
I volunteered for a functional MRI double blind study a few years ago. I had to do 6 MRI scans in 6 weeks. Each session was 60 minutes. I was specifically told not to take medication in advance so valium was out. They wanted me to react and answer questions during the scans. And yes, I am claustrophobic.
What helped me was to look beforehand at the MRI cavity and realize that worst case, I could crawl out of that place by myself if necessary.
What helped me was to look beforehand at the MRI cavity and realize that worst case, I could crawl out of that place by myself if necessary.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
-
catherine a
- Posts: 291
- Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:46 am
- Location: Perth Western Australia
Re: How Much Valium for MRI?
I realised the MRI is open at the back end, behind your head. That made me feel more relaxed and the noise is just noise. I thought a train was coming. Took me a good 10 mins. to relax once my mind was settled. The fact that I knew is was open behind my head definitely made it easier. I wouldn't have known this if I didn't look up behind me after i slid in there.
Catherine
Catherine
2004 PNE following vag. hysterectomy and A & P repair. 2007 TIR surgery France. severe entrapment at Alcocks canal & SS ligaments . Have my life back. 90% cured.No longer have medical appts.or physio.Some pain remains but is tolerable. 2012 Flew from Australia to the UK without pain flare. Very manageable. Almost back to normal. Now hold support group meetings at KEMH Subiaco Perth WA. Every 2nd Sat. of the month. Still pace my activities. PN doesn't dominate any more.