MRI Labral tear

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
alexm

MRI Labral tear

Post by alexm »

Hi guys and gals,

I am booked in for a MRI scan to check for labral hip tears. I would just like to know if they have to inject a contrast product in order to see these tears, as there seems to be some confusion over the issuse. Also, does this injection carry any risk for the pudendal nerves ?
Keep on keeping on,
Al
I'm 37. Pain started suddenly in 2005 after heavy physical work. Had a two year period without pain between 2007 and 2009. Pain came back 2010 (too much yoga) and I finally got a diagnosis. Too many cortisone shots! No long term relief.I Don’t take many meds as pain rarely goes above 3 or 4. 2mg of valium once or twice a month. Recently diagnosed with bilateral fai and labral tears. Right side hip scope in July 2013...Second left side scope planned for later in the year...
Lernica

Re: MRI Labral tear

Post by Lernica »

Ask your doctor what kind of a scan s/he has ordered. The gold standard for detecting labral tears is an MRI with contrast, which involves injecting dye. I never had that but still my torn labrum was detected with a regular MRI.

The dye is injected in the hip joint which is no where near the pudendal nerve, so you don't have to worry about that. But the procedure itself is somewhat painful, both during and after. Typically they also inject some local anaesthetic as well, which can also be diagnostic if it relieves your hip pain for a few hours. Let us know how it goes!
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Faith

Post by Faith »

From the research I have read and my own experience an MRA (arthrogram where they inject dye into the hip) or a 3T MRI (must be 3T- the most powerful MRI available - specifically of the hip, not the pelvis. Good luck!
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Elmwood

Post by Elmwood »

For me they injected a contrast as well as some other medications like Lernica mentioned for diagnostic value. The only pain I experienced was the initial needle and nothing else. Easier than a trip to the dentist for me.
Scrotal pain and tingling started in 1999. Soreness after ejaculation. Occasional numbness in Scrotum. Some urinary frequency. Symptoms disappeared for 3 years in 07 and came back in 2010. Tingling and tickling in penis 2011. Pain in buttocks with sitting started in July of 2012. Not much success with PT. Tried the usual meds with some success, but didn't like the side effects. Dr. Potter MRI revealed pelvic floor varices. Both hips opperated on in 2013 for FAI. Some help with supplements.

Return to “MRI/MRN”