Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
April
Posts: 737
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Post by April »

Hi Barb,

I understand completely what you are saying. It's always there and always lurking. My daily pain levels sound lower than yours (yes, mornings are almost always good!), but my flares are can be a problem. I think Violet's idea of a neuromodulation is worth considering. If my my flares more frequent, I think I would do that. (I strongly considered it before I decided to do surgery.) The stimulator has drawbacks, but it is a treatment that I've heard more consistently positive feedback about than most others. Glad the ice and heat are also helping you.

Take care,
April
Pain_Darren
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:46 pm

Re: Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Post by Pain_Darren »

.
Last edited by Pain_Darren on Wed Aug 20, 2025 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephanies
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Post by stephanies »

I have had PN doctors and experienced PTs refute the idea that surgery is a "last resort". It is an option if evidence points toward entrapment. It is possible that you have some thing else going on that is continuing your pain. I always think lumbar and pelvic MRIs are a good idea to look for spine issues like Tarlov Cysts, annular tears, etc. and it is also important to have a doctor and PT check hips for any issues there that could be contributing to PN.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery in 2006 and 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2009, pain returned worse in 12/13. Pain reduced again in 2023.
barb21949
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:10 am

Re: Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Post by barb21949 »

Yes a part of why I am weary of any new pudendal treatments is because I do think something else is going on.

Plus many treatments I’ve read about state they are to be tried BEFORE you have surgery and since I had surgery does that mean these treatments are not worth it?

I have been of the frame of mind after trying so many different things before the surgery AND being told surgery was when all else fails (which at the time was true) that I just need to accept I am as good as I am going to get and I need to stop looking for some miracle “cure”.


stephanies wrote: ↑Tue Jul 08, 2025 10:14 pm I have had PN doctors and experienced PTs refute the idea that surgery is a "last resort". It is an option if evidence points toward entrapment. It is possible that you have some thing else going on that is continuing your pain. I always think lumbar and pelvic MRIs are a good idea to look for spine issues like Tarlov Cysts, annular tears, etc. and it is also important to have a doctor and PT check hips for any issues there that could be contributing to PN.

Stephanies
Started 2015 - possibly from vaginal cyst removal
Diagnosed 2017 by Dr. Mark Conway in New Hampshire

Symptoms:
vulvar/labia pain when walking/standing
Butt sitting/driving
constant, achy, highly sensitive to touch

Treatments tried and failed:
5 pudendal nerve blocks
1 ganglion impair nerve block
Gabapentin - up to 2400 per day and as a cream
Lyrica
Cymbalta
physical therapy

Surgery:
Decompression Surgery- Dec 2020 - Dr. Andrew Elkwood, NJ

Pain Management - Dr. Jaclyn Bonder - NYC
barb21949
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:10 am

Re: Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Post by barb21949 »

My pain doctor brought up stimulators and Botox as possible treatments when other treatments weren’t working but ultimately she thought surgery was my best option. That was 5 years ago.

Pain_Darren wrote: ↑Sun Jul 06, 2025 9:12 pm Please do serious research with stimulators
So so many horror stories
I would never go that route
Please be very aware of the dangers linked to stimulators
Darren
Started 2015 - possibly from vaginal cyst removal
Diagnosed 2017 by Dr. Mark Conway in New Hampshire

Symptoms:
vulvar/labia pain when walking/standing
Butt sitting/driving
constant, achy, highly sensitive to touch

Treatments tried and failed:
5 pudendal nerve blocks
1 ganglion impair nerve block
Gabapentin - up to 2400 per day and as a cream
Lyrica
Cymbalta
physical therapy

Surgery:
Decompression Surgery- Dec 2020 - Dr. Andrew Elkwood, NJ

Pain Management - Dr. Jaclyn Bonder - NYC
barb21949
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:10 am

Re: Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Post by barb21949 »

Thank you April. My pain although can be very low some days is constant. And I have to be proactive to keep it low. It’s exhausting physically and mentally. I hate that it has been YEARS since I have woken up with zero pain.

My friends and family STILL
don’t understand what I am feeling and have said “but you had surgery, aren’t you better? “. Yes I’m better but I am not pain free. Even low pain on a daily basis sucks. It doesn’t make me weak and it doesn’t mean I am faking it or exaggerating. I still feel after all these years the need to defend myself.☹️

April wrote: ↑Fri Jul 04, 2025 2:15 am Hi Barb,

I understand completely what you are saying. It's always there and always lurking. My daily pain levels sound lower than yours (yes, mornings are almost always good!), but my flares are can be a problem. I think Violet's idea of a neuromodulation is worth considering. If my my flares more frequent, I think I would do that. (I strongly considered it before I decided to do surgery.) The stimulator has drawbacks, but it is a treatment that I've heard more consistently positive feedback about than most others. Glad the ice and heat are also helping you.

Take care,
April
Started 2015 - possibly from vaginal cyst removal
Diagnosed 2017 by Dr. Mark Conway in New Hampshire

Symptoms:
vulvar/labia pain when walking/standing
Butt sitting/driving
constant, achy, highly sensitive to touch

Treatments tried and failed:
5 pudendal nerve blocks
1 ganglion impair nerve block
Gabapentin - up to 2400 per day and as a cream
Lyrica
Cymbalta
physical therapy

Surgery:
Decompression Surgery- Dec 2020 - Dr. Andrew Elkwood, NJ

Pain Management - Dr. Jaclyn Bonder - NYC
Pain_Darren
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:46 pm

Re: Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Post by Pain_Darren »

.
Last edited by Pain_Darren on Wed Aug 20, 2025 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pain_Darren
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:46 pm

Re: Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Post by Pain_Darren »

.
Last edited by Pain_Darren on Wed Aug 20, 2025 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaxi123
Posts: 566
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:35 am

Re: Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Post by jaxi123 »

I agree Botox for me was a total waste and lots of money down the drain
29Mari
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Re: Ongoing pain 5 years after decompression surgery

Post by 29Mari »

29Mari wrote: ↑Sun Jun 29, 2025 3:32 pm Hi Barb

....I also saw a pain management doctor recently who prescribed compounded low dose ketamine sublingual lozenges. These too work to some extent when I am in a bad flare. He also recommended I try ketamine infusions, which I guess are done in office via IV, as this would be a higher dose. If I try that I will post my experience here.

So these are some things that might be worth a try. It always helps to have some new tools in the box to help manage flares!

Best wishes, Mari
Hi Barb, I am circling back here because I said if I tried a ketamine infusion, which I did this past Monday, that I would post about it here. For now, I'll just sum it up by saying it was a really really scary experience. I am still recovering. This treatment is not for the faint of heart, literally nor figuratively. I don't recommend it. I very much regret doing it.

So as not to hijack your thread I will start another one at some point, when I am up to it, to explain how things went.
PGAD began 2010. Left vulva deep pain&arousal. Lower left ab pain/tugging.
2020 PFPT failed.
2023: Prolapse surgery, More PT.
2024: Trigger point injections helped to some extent.
2025: Dry needling helps! Inconclusive nerve blocks. Potter MRI shows pelvic varices but no nerve entrapments.
2026: Success wth vein health supplement Diosmin&Hespiridin! It helps my PGAD.
Post Reply

Return to “SURGERY”