Robotic or laparoscopic

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Carnation
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2024 6:37 pm

Robotic or laparoscopic

Post by Carnation »

Hello,
General question for all

Would you choose laparoscopic or robotic if the entire nerve is involved???😖😫
User avatar
Violet M
Posts: 7162
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Robotic or laparoscopic

Post by Violet M »

My understanding is that they can do robot-assisted laparoscopic pudendal nerve release surgery. So, maybe the answer to your question is both?

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1089/lap.2014.0013
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Carnation
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2024 6:37 pm

Re: Robotic or laparoscopic

Post by Carnation »

??? I’m still confused because I’ve seen surgical videos where the tools are straight and others where the tool has a swivel on the end so they can access further into the alcocks canal. I’m trying to fully understand if lap and robotic are the same before making the final decision It’s getting close!
User avatar
Violet M
Posts: 7162
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Robotic or laparoscopic

Post by Violet M »

I think the answer is that laparoscopic surgery can be robotic but it doesn't have to be. You would need to check with the surgeon on how they do the laparoscopic surgery- using a robot or not, because they aren't all the same.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
eraser
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2025 1:41 am

Re: Robotic or laparoscopic

Post by eraser »

Carnation wrote: ↑Wed Mar 18, 2026 10:51 pm ??? I’m still confused because I’ve seen surgical videos where the tools are straight and others where the tool has a swivel on the end so they can access further into the alcocks canal. I’m trying to fully understand if lap and robotic are the same before making the final decision It’s getting close!
The plus point here is whatever decision you make, at least you're able to have the surgery!
Carnation
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2024 6:37 pm

Re: Robotic or laparoscopic

Post by Carnation »

It’s an agonizing decision 🤨 then to find the only surgeon in the US who does robotic surgery doesn’t accept my insurance Maybe I will be able to have surgery 🤨 Maybe not 🤨
User avatar
Violet M
Posts: 7162
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Robotic or laparoscopic

Post by Violet M »

Does your insurance allow any out-of-network care that would allow you to file the claim yourself?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Carnation
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2024 6:37 pm

Re: Robotic or laparoscopic

Post by Carnation »

For my insurance it depends on the provider but it doesn’t matter because I don’t have enough to pay upfront.
eraser
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2025 1:41 am

Re: Robotic or laparoscopic

Post by eraser »

Carnation wrote: ↑Sun Mar 22, 2026 4:49 pm It’s an agonizing decision 🤨 then to find the only surgeon in the US who does robotic surgery doesn’t accept my insurance Maybe I will be able to have surgery 🤨 Maybe not 🤨
I seem to be the only one that thinks surgery is a very easy decision.
User avatar
Violet M
Posts: 7162
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Robotic or laparoscopic

Post by Violet M »

Carnation wrote: ↑Mon Mar 23, 2026 5:35 pm For my insurance it depends on the provider but it doesn’t matter because I don’t have enough to pay upfront.
Maybe they would accept some kind of payment plan, especially if you could get pre-authorization from your insurance.

Carnation, have you had a pelvic MRI or MRN yet that might reveal if scar tissue from your surgery a year ago might be an issue - entrapping the nerve? If that is the case, if you are having another surgery, you would want to work with a surgeon who has some kind of plan to prevent more scar tissue from forming. Some people tend to form scar tissue and if you have a bunch of scar tissue in there already you don't want more. They could remove it surgically but if more forms, that's not good.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Post Reply

Return to “SURGERY”